Once upon a time (about 2 months ago), I thought I was thinking positively about algebra. I had high hopes and was determined to understand it and learn it this time around. I'm now at the end of my 3rd week with it and so far I can honestly say....it sucks! It's been a solid 15 years since I graduated high school (WOW!). I've bought cars, sold cars, taken out loans, balanced check books, calculated hundreds of college students grades, and juggled numerous credit cards. Never, during any of that have I ever wished, or thought I needed to know more about the subject...and nor do I now. Please don't think of this as a sympathy request, it's simply a rant session.
One of my questions on an assignment was:
For a holiday party, Marcus is making a six-layer torte, which consists of six 9-inch diameter cake layers with a cream topping on each layer. He knows that one recipe of cream will cover 60 square inches of cake. How many batches of the topping must he make to complete his torte? (Use п = 3.14 as an approximate value)
Seriously?? Dude...can you not just keep making the damn cream until you don't need it anymore? Just save whatever is left, I'm sure Martha Stewart has something posted on the subject. Do you really need algebra to figure this out?? And who the hell measures the diameter of a cake anyway?
Here's my answer:
3.14 x (4.5)²
(3.14 x (4.5)²) x 6
((3.14 x (4.5)²) x 6) ÷ 60 = 7
7 Batches to complete his damn torte
Anyway ~ I'm sure that answer is wrong, but if you know, by all means, clue me in.
3 more long weeks!! UGH!

1 comment:
YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Post a Comment